Jun 8, 2014

1

PKRA Soma Bay Egypt.

Back home after an unsuccessful PKRA event in Soma Bay Egypt. 


























I arrived in Egypt a few days before the event as I wanted to visit a little bit the place and do some of the activities that Egypt has to offer. The first days we were pretty lucky with the wind, so I decided to pull out my GoPro to take some action shots with the amazing water colour there. 


PKRA Competition:

We woke up with a first possible start at 6:00am with the wind blowing strong for 11 or 9m kite. I was on the first heat of the day against my mate David Tonijuan from Spain and two other guys. I went out for a ride 10 minutes before the red flag to test the wind and see if I choose the correct kite size. The heat started and I was really powered on my 11m GP, everything was working well until mid way through the heat, suddenly the wind dropped to almost 10 kts all of us were struggling with the conditions as we were all on 11m kites. In the end they ended up with out canceling the heat as they had enough tricks to decide who were the winners. Unfortunately I got 2n place behind my mate David so we both advanced into the 2n round. There I was going to meet up with Forest Bakker and Jerrie Van der Koop. 




We all had an excellent heat the wind was good strong on 11m again so everyone was happy. I got out from the water with a good feeling but in the end the judges missed my last two tricks so that made the difference for my opponents to win. 

My last opportunity to go through the trials was against the Brazilian ripper Evandro da Silva, I knew he was a really good rider but I saw he's heat before and he wasn't performing as good as he was used to do. So that gave me the extra confidence to go big on my next heat. 
The wind was still strong 11m, weather I felt good but unfortunately the wind picked up during the heat and I couldn't hold my 11m anymore. Evandro went out on a smaller kite and he also had an excellent heat so props to him as he went through the main event. 

The competition zone for the trials was pretty tricky, there was no chance to change your kite during the heats so I think to choose the kite size was half of the work of advancing a heat there.

Currently at home taking the advantage of the summer thermal light winds to train for the PKRA Junior   next month! I'll keep you updated!

Cheers,
Noè.

PHOTO CREDIT: PKRA/ Toby Bromwich



No comments:

Post a Comment